• How much raw material or stock do I have left, right now?
• When best to plan stock replenishment?
• Is my material storage equipment being used effectively?
Terabee has been working on a smart stock monitoring system to help companies digitize their bin levels, and enable users to benefit from real-time and historical data of remaining material stock. Results are a reduction in operational costs and improvements to overall safety!
What does the Terabee Stock Level Monitoring System offer?
Rugged, high performance Time-of-Flight sensors are installed on top of containers or stockpiles, with up to 60 metre detection range. Sensors are then connected to the central computing unit via RS485, and raw distance-to-material data is collected from each sensor. The Stock Level Supervisor supplies power to all sensors, and features embedded computation functions - turning incoming distance data into level or volume estimations of the remaining material stock. The Stock Level Supervisor is connected to a Programmable Logic Controller (PLC) for further data communication (Ethernet) and data processing.
• No. of sensors connected: up to 8 (extension for up to 32 sensors)
• Data Interface: Ethernet (Modbus TCP/IP), Wifi
• Supply Voltage: 24V DC +/-10%
• Dimensions, Weight: 110 x 121 x 45 mm, 205 g
• Protection: IP65
• Software support: Embedded configuration tool (web-based)
STOCK LEVEL SENSOR
• Detection principle: Optical Time-of-Flight (infrared)
• Range: 0.5m up to 60m (dark conditions)
• Field of View, per sensor: 2 degrees
• Interface to Stock Level Supervisor: RS485 (Modbus)
• Dimensions, Weight: 94 x 56 x 31 mm, 99g
• Protection: IP65
Web-based configuration tool
Terabee offers its customers maximum flexibility as the system allows them to evaluate a number of monitoring configurations. For liquid materials or containers with known material surface distribution we suggest using a single sensor setup. Whereas for larger spaces with unpredictable material distribution, multiple sensor installations will allow for more accurate volume estimations.
Users can also perform multi-container measurements for grouped bins, using a single Stock Level Supervisor.
From a PoC project to an industrialised product
• Visual stock inspections by factory staff can be time-consuming and result in a fixed labor cost, with the need for regular evaluations of remaining stock in containers.
• Manual checks also present real risks of fall and injury, especially for larger containers requiring operations at considerable heights.
• In addition, manual material approximations can lead to inaccurate data and introduce significant inefficiencies for stock replenishment. This includes running out of raw material blocking production capabilities, or receiving stock deliveries too early without available safe storage.
Terabee prototyped and installed a multi-sensor bin level monitoring system with a robust connection to a factory PLC for further programming. Real-time data on material fill levels enabled the client to control raw material entry into the production process, and provided an accurate overview of stock in storage containers. Accumulated data overtime allowed for a better understanding of consumption cycles, enabling optimization of stock resupply. The project demonstrated positive outcomes, with a further need for solution industrialization!
Interested in digitising your stock levels?
We welcome collaboration from partners looking for innovation in digital stock management and can offer PoC engagements for you to assess the potential and full benefits of Terabee Time-of-Flight technology. Our processes are lean, iterative and reduce risk for innovation projects. Get in touch today!
Self-powered, LoRaWAN level device
The system enables operators to optimize stock replenishment, cut operational costs and reduce dangerous silo audits.